Friday, December 7, 2007

No go for pre-selling and stupid mistakes

Pre sales

Electric sky have had a meeting and decided that although they like the idea and think it will sell, they don't think they can pre-sell it. I can see their point - we'd be asking people to pay a high price for a low budget documentary from a small producer with limited track record.

It's quite possible TV companies would look at the budget and at the scale of the idea and think it couldn't be done to any decent standard. However, I like taking on impossible projects, and I think it can be done!

The great thing about attempting the impossible is that you get a lot of credibility when it works, and only sympathy when it doesn't. Nobody's expecting very much, so whatever you do is going to impress!

I planned the project without pre-funding and although it would have been nice, it's not neccessary as long as I can convince myself I'll make sales in the end.

not having pre-sales also releaves me of the need to produce a trailler - so I can concentrate on the main programme.


Stupid mistake
Ok - we all do it, but here's my stupid mistake of the week - which I discovered when capturing my footage:

I did the interview - fine.
I rewound to check everything had recorded - fine
Just as I was leaving I saw an opportunity for a cut-away and filmed that.

Of course I didn't re-cue the tape, so I recorded my cutaways over the first 2 minutes of the interview.

doh!

Luckily, it was just the interviewee introducing himself and getting comfortable - no useable material was lost.

Still, it's so easy to do - one of the downsides of working on your own is that you're trying to do everything at once and there's nobody there to stop you messing up!


Satellite
I decided this morning that I think I’m going to try to launch a satellite. More on that ridiculous scheme later if it comes to anything…


George
My baby George has been taken into hospital for observations on his heart, so I'll be visiting a lot and probably will have to slow down work on the documentary for the next week or so.
http://christiandarkin.blogspot.com/2007/12/more-tests-and-fete.html

even so, I'm hoping to do some shooting at Jodrel bank next Friday.

No comments: