Friday, December 14, 2007

Interviews

Interviews

Today I went up to Manchester to interview some of the scientists at jodrell bank who are involved in the search for planets orbiting other stars. Interesting stuff and apparently with new developments due on line in 10 years or so, they’ll be able to detect the constituents of the atmospheres of planets in other solar systems. They tell me that they’ll be able to be almost certain if there is life from these measurements. In a few years, we’ll know if we’re alone – or at least we’ll know if we’re not.

They seemed quite surprised that I had a camera with me (I think they thought it was audio only. Still, they adjusted quite quickly. The interviews went well, and they offered me some footage of the telescope which I can use in the documentary. They’re going to start making video in the next few months so I offered my help – the least I can do I think given that I’ve taken up their afternoon.

With these two interviews, I’ve got the first section of the documentary covered. I’ve got the solar sailing bit covered. I’ve also got the faster than light section covered. What remains is the part about how to sustain human habitation during a 50+ year journey to the stars (I’ve got someone lined up to interview about this), a section on fusion ramjets and other super-rockets, and a section on terraforming (which I think I may have an interviewee for, but I’m not sure).

It’s probably time to start editing and working on the animations.

No comments: