Friday, June 20, 2008

Ok, it seems the re-vamp of the website has paid off. Despite halving my investment on Google adverts, I’ve now got 3 more jobs confirmed and another 2 that might come off in the last week.

One was a pretty standard piece of illustration for a card company.. one is a short animated sequence zooming from outer space to the Earth – again, not difficult in itself, but I’m going to make it quite sophisticated looking… The third is a filmmaker who wants to add some animated figures into a real life scene.

Fair enough, except that he wants to do it by next Friday and he wants to do it for an absurdly low budget… I’m going to take the job anyway because it looks like fun – even though there’s a hell of a lot of animation, it doesn’t have to be strictly naturalistic, so it should be just about do-able.

Anyway, that’s for next week.

There’s also a possibility of a pop video for a group who have just finished touring with the Killers… and a safety video for a yacht on the cards.

All in all, the re-vamp is doing pretty well for me.

Apart from the fact that it’s so successful my ISP is complaining that I’m overusing my bandwidth… so it might be time to get another host for the site – or at least buy a domain name so I can switch if and when I need to.

Did manage to grab a quick look at my notes for my next documentaries – and I think I may be able to turn the plan from 4 60 minute pieces into 6 30 minute documentaries.

This will be a lot easier to manage, shoot and organise… not least because I can use the same interviewees without them looking overused. And that’s quite a consideration because there aren’t that many experts on specific dinosaur species, so I’m going to have to use the people I can get.

The next step here is to arrange interviews and write questions for them. But right now that feels a bit like taking the plunge…

Once I commit to when I’m doing interviews that gives the whole project a momentum… which of course is what I need to do, but it’ll mean putting other paid work on the backburner and I’m only just getting used to the idea that there’s enough of that around to keep me going!

In the meantime I’m really hoping to get somewhere towards finishing the space exploration documentary next week… NASA haven’t come up with the footage I need of the solar sail test, but I guess I’ll have to do without it.

No comments: