Wednesday, May 7, 2008

This week I haven’t got much time to work – Wednesday and Friday are my only working days.

And although I didn’t feel as though I got very far today, I did get some useful things done.

The first was that I managed to get to grips with my new copy of 3ds max which arrived yesterday.

How come I’ve got a new version of Max? well, it looks like I may be reviewing it for one magazine, and I’ve been in discussions with another publication about writing a series of tutorials on using 3d along-side other graphics tools to create animations, still images, and web design. Because the series will last a few months and will be in a high profile magazine, Autodesk have been kind enough to provide a copy of Max with a perminant licence (it makes a lot of sense to them because I’ll be publicising their package).

Anyway, the copy of Max is worth as much to me as the payment I’ll get for the articles as it means I can now make use of the new features – which primarily for me means easier animation of complex objects (like dinosaurs) and better integration with z-brush – the package I use to design 3d creatures….

Great news.


Plus, on a similar subject, it looks like I may be doing another poster – this time featuring Trex…. And the client for the ethical investments animation has got back to me with a “go” on a slight variation on my original design, so I can get on with that.


In addition, I got a call from Electric Sky saying they like the “how to colonise the stars” documentary, so I can get going on the final cut.

I also had a brief discussion with them about the idea of a series – and whether it would be best for me to make 3 hour long episodes or 6 half hours… no conclusive answer there about which will sell better, but it’s feeling right now as though shorter episodes would be easier to plan out for the “birds and dinosaurs” series I have in mind….

Hmm.. still not sure on that front.


In the meantime, my series of missing links is coming on well…. Here’s titanophoneus - an early reptile/mammal link…




No comments: