Friday, July 3, 2009

This week I got back the 3d model I sent to shapeways. Shapeways is a company that will take your 3d virtual objects and turn them into real solid objects using a process involving powdered plastic and laser beams.

I got them to reproduce one of my trilobite models as a full scale plastic creature – and it’s amazing to see your 3d visions bought to life. There are a few restrictions on the process (like you can’t have walls thinner than 2mm) and the finished objects have a rough, almost contoured look about them with tiny (less than .0.1mm) ridges, but I can’t help feeling this kind of bespoke manufacturing is going to be huge.

If only I could think of the killer app….


Anyway. renewing my advertising on Google is paying off by the looks of it - it looks like I’ve got a pop video to animate which should be fun.

I’ve also removed the email form from the front page of http://www.anachronistic.co.uk/ – it’s been nothing but trouble with lots and lots of emails coming from it, but no actual leads to speak of.

I’m still getting more graduates wanting to work in animation than I am animation jobs, but that’s a sign of the times, I suppose.


Next week I’m on holiday….

No comments: