Wednesday, March 5, 2008

voiceovers
Today the voiceover artist got back to me saying he’s got some time in the next couple of days to do the commentary. I’ve got a rough, but not a finished script, but it’s good to have a tight deadline, I think, so I’ve been trying to get a more polished version for him done today.

I’ve now sent about half the script to him. There will probably be pick-ups to do, but it will be much easier working with the real commentary than trying to do it with my voice as a stand in.

Once the real commentary is in place I can start thinking about pace and music – and it will really come together.


Beautiful rubbish
Last night, Horizon – the UK’s premiere science documentary strand – did a programme covering some of the same issues my documentary is about.

It was beautifully shot – using cinematography and visual metaphors that are way outside anything I can afford to do for my documentary. They took a scientist to the middle of a desert just to have her draw circles in the sand representing the habitable zone of a star… everything looked great.

However, the content (as I’ve seen Horizon doing quite often) was poor and the pace seemed to me dreadfully slow. Not trying to blow my own trumpet, but I think there’s more content in the first 5 minutes of my documentary (the clip I posted a couple of weeks ago) than in the whole of the horizon programme. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong.

No comments: