Friday, November 30, 2007

solar sailing and nuclear pulse engines

We are Sailing (solar sailing)
Today’s job was 3d animation. I managed to get the designs done for two of my spaceships: the nuclear pulse ship (which I’d already built for an illustration a while back, but which needed animating). The ship is traveling very fast, but it’s powered by nuclear (or antimatter) explosions being dropped out of the back of the craft one after another. Each explosion is supposed to be a fraction of a second apart, but because that wouldn’t be easy to see I’ve gone for a matrix style slow-down effect.

The other craft is a solar sail – a very elegant idea (which I’m going to do an interview about in Glasgow next week– I’m hoping to go up from London, do the interview and get back home the same day!). the solar sail animation shows the sail being deployed as the ship approaches the sun – it’s a tricky maneuver and the camera angles aren’t great yet – I’ll have to refine this one!

No comments: