Friday, February 15, 2008

Editing
Editing is progressing apace. Well, it’s not – but it is.
I’m currently going through the production looking for visuals for everything that’s mentioned. I’ve spent about £100 on stock footage from istockphoto, shutterstock and revostock and made a hell of a lot of use of footage from Nasa.

The rest I’m constructing myself in After Effects and 3ds max.

This means I’m spending an awful lot of time flicking through footage sites, trying to download things and experimenting with After Effects layouts. This means my PC is being used right up to its limit: I’ve currently got 10 internet eplorer pages open, 3DS Max, After Effects, Photoshop, Word and Premiere all open and I’m trying to render a landscape in Mojoworld at the same time.

Everything is painfully slow!

Anyway, I’ve found a couple of useful tips for making stills into moving images. Instead of just animating a virtual camera over a landscape panorama still, I’ve discovered that if you add a sheer effect to it and animate that (as long as the pic is high resolution and the right kind of shot) you can get a great effect almost as though it’s a track.


Also, the vanishing point tool in Photoshop can allow you to bring a still to life if you’re really careful with it and combine it with After Effects (although I’ve not done this successfully yet – I’ll post a clip when I do!


I’m basically just gathering clips right now and plonking them on the Timeline. Next week, I should be able tobring them all together and discover whether they actually work.

I’ve got a feeling right now that I’m getting clips illustrating phrases – because I’m using stock footage – and not sequences telling a story. It’ll require some careful editing, but this is a big subject (space exploration) so I can’t go and get every shot myself….

I just hope my animations will tie it all together and give it continuity.

Of course I am deliberately looking for pictures that illustrate individual statements right now so that could well be why I’m getting that feelling…..

Would be good to get somebody elses eye on this….

3 comments:

Danat said...

you might want to check pond5.com if for more good base images at good prices

Christian Darkin said...

thanks for that - I've got a couple of clips from Pond 5 and I've also sold a couple there - it's a good marketplace and I ought to put some more clips up when I get the chance!

jonnyflash said...

Have you seen Werner Herzog's pesudo-science fiction film Wild Blue Yonder? He uses almost exclusively publicly available images from NASA flights to tell an interstellar story.