Monday, December 10, 2007

Lost in Transcription

Lost in Transcription
Having to get a script of my shark documentary for the distribution company presented a bit of a problem. Either I was going to have to write it out myself or I’d have to pay someone to do it.

I found a company on the Internet who would do the transcription for just $0.60 per minute – and who I could use completely automatically – uploading a mp3 file and paying by paypal.

The company (http://www.e24tech.com/) claims not to use computer software to transcribe, but I got back paragraphs like:

The secondary occupation of the sea spy mammals in the form of whales particularly seals. Meant a certain amount of competition for food, but also a food source in them selves in order to process them a whale caucus do enough damage to disable it and it requires very efficient biting mechanism and very efficient teeth.

…
so judge for yourself.

Even though I’m now going to have to go through and correct the script, I still think the service is well worthwhile – and so cheap I don’t mind doing corrections. I think I’ll get all my interviews transcribed so I can do a paper edit – something I couldn’t have thought of before.

No comments: